Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Checking for Understanding: The Drive By

I have a lot of different topics that I want to hit on soon but as I was working in my classroom today I thought I would throw this quick and easy idea out there.

One of the most important things about the flipped classroom is making sure that each and every student has that 1 on 1 assistance when they need it. In my class students are working on different lessons, multiple projects, and even taking a variety of assessments all at the same time. It is critical that I can quickly see who needs assistance immediately and who I need to meet with at some point during the class period.

Here is the link to the google doc: Teacher Time: Sign Up Sheet

I have come up with a couple different strategies to handle that. The first being a google doc that I created that allows students to schedule time with  me during class. I spend a lot of time working with small groups and wanted to have an easy way to see if there were several people who were in need of a little assistance on one specific topic. I form small groups all the time but usually use exit tickets and other informal assessments to form my groups I felt like this really gave students a voice in their learning.

The second tool I use to quickly access if my students need me are these little sheets that I have placed on each students desk.


It is kind of difficult to see but there are little clear velcro tabs on each of the red, yellow, and green rectangles. I have small buttons that have the other side of the velcro tab on them, that the students will use with these. At the beginning of each period students will start with their buttons on the green box and if they feel they need some extra assistance they can move their buttons to either the red or yellow box. This enables me to quickly see as I do a quick drive by around the room who needs immediate attention and who needs assistance as soon as I can get there. This little laminated sheet has saved me lots of lines at my table while I am working with other students.


If you are interested I have included the file here for you to download and use.

Check for Understanding: Drive By Sheet

If you have a really great idea to check for understanding quickly let me know in the comments. 

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I want to try this. Are the buttons just regular buttons with Velcro that the students move? Are you collecting the cards each day at the end of class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, they are just regular buttons with velcro on the back. I started out using laminated paper circles but they were just too flimsy to pull up and stick down several times a day. As for collecting them. I actually just leave them on the desks each day. I have taped them down so they don't move easily. We do take them up at least twice a quarter and deep clean desks.

      Delete