Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Journey to the SunnySide

I like to refer to my classroom as the sunny side. For one because I hope it is always a bright cheery place for my students to go. Two because I have spent the last couple years teaching using the flipped classroom model, get it sunny side up... hehehe. We have an absolutely awesome Superintendent who truly believes that technology is a key to successfully educating our students. Because of his strong belief three years ago our school district was one of the first in our area to go 1:1 with the iPad being our tool of choice. I was lucky enough to get to go on visits to other districts where they were already using iPads. It was at one of these visits where I saw it... the flipped classroom in action! I had read about it and even researched it, but mostly in the science classroom (cue Jonathan Bergmann and Aaron Samms). The whole drive home I couldn't even concentrate on driving, ask my fellow co-workers how many dirt roads we ended up on because I was daydreaming about flipping my classroom! That was the beginning of a whole new world for me... screen casting, mastery based learning, apps, podcasts, and tweets oh my! I had always enjoyed technology and considered myself ahead of the curve as I was already incorporating a lot of it in my class. But this day started my journey to "the sunny side" I hope you will join me here as I share my success and fails with the flipped classroom, apps that I love, and just my techy life in general. It is my goal that teachers who are looking to incorporate the flipped classroom can use this as a helpful tool in their own journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment