Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Ok so you can't make it to ISTE... Now What?


I admit it I have felt a little of the old green eyed monster of jealousy as I am seeing all the excitement people are sharing over twitter in preparation for the ISTE conference. Being a farmers wife has its advantageous that's for sure but summer travel isn't one of them. It is a little hard for me to just abandon my two little one's since their dad usually isn't in the door most evenings until 10:00 or so. That being said I am crazy jealous that I am going to miss out on all that technology, fellowship, and innovation and if you are like me you are feeling it too :) Here are a few ways to cope

1. Attend Virtually
If your like me and can't make it to Atlanta for whatever reason ISTE Live is for you. You will get to live stream the keynote as well as 5 of their other most popular sessions. You will then be able to at your leisure watch recorded archives of all ISTE 2014 sessions. It also includes several other perks such as live chats and post session interviews to help you feel like you are getting the full experience! At $219 it isn't cheap by any means but if you are like me and logistics was the problem this could help solve part of that.

2. Watch 2013 ISTE Conference
Did you know all of the sessions from 2013 are streaming online. Check them out, yes technology changes at the speed of light but I guarantee you will still pick up a few tie bits that will get your juices flowing! ISTE Playlist

3. Follow the Speakers
Use the ISTE Program as a map to creating your own PLN. All the speakers can be found on twitter and many of them will be sharing their resources there. If they are worthy enough to speak at ISTE they defiantly are a worthwhile twitter user to follow! It is amazing the information that these guys share through twitter!!! I have said it before and I will say it again Twitter really is one of the best ways to do professional development.

I hope I have in some way helped alleviate the pain of having to miss ISTE. Hopefully I will see you all there next year!




No comments:

Post a Comment