Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Why The Flip

For most of you no introduction to the flipped classroom is necessary but I hate to say I was speaking to a principal a week or so ago and mentioned using the flipped classroom and he informed me he wasn't familiar with it... WHAT??? Ok maybe I am a little biased because I am soooo in love with it but come on!


So for those few individuals who haven't been introduced to the sunny side let me give you a quick definition.  Flipped Classroom: Students watch the instruction from home via video (or other method) and complete the practice in the classroom where the teacher is available for assistance. Can you see the flip... homework at school, lesson at home. I do have to be honest and say that much of my lessons are still viewed in my classroom and I am ok with that.... more on the actual set up of my flip to come soon. 

I just wanted to give you a quick background of WHY??? Why did I want to use the flipped classroom? Why do I love the flipped classroom? and Why I think it is a great model to ensure you aren't leaving any child behind!!! 

After teaching math the traditional way I was really noticing that a lot of my students were getting left in the dust. They wouldn't understand some of the basic building blocks of algebra and their foundation would start to crumble as we got further and further along. I couldn't stop and hold up the entire class just so that those struggling would be able to catch up. I mean come on we had all these standards to cover and only 180 days to do it. So here were my goals that I wanted for my class. 
  • Find a way that students could be more involved in their own learning.
  • Provide course content in a way that each and every student had access to an equally excellent education.  (Think of those habitually absent students)
  • Have each student show mastery in course content prior to moving on to the next objective. 
And here is my favorite part... why I love the flipped classroom and why I truly believe you should too!
  • It has minimized distractions
  • It allows the students the ability to review at any time
  • Students learn at their own pace
  • Advanced students can challenge themselves and students who typically struggle really seem to find a new confidence. 
  • It has allowed me to differentiate my instruction much easier
  • Students who used to be able to hide or would slip through the cracks can't do so in a flipped classroom. Everyone must be engaged.
  • Student behavior is much better
  • And more absolute #1 reason... Much more one on one time between myself and my students!
So there you have it my list of Why's I hope that this brief introduction has left you as excited to learn more as I am to share it with you! If you are ever in need of a refresher or get a little bit overwhelmed refer back to this list. I have many times and it always encourages me to keep going! 

No comments:

Post a Comment